DBMS > CockroachDB
CockroachDB System Properties
Please select another system to compare it with CockroachDB.
|Editorial information provided by DB-Engines|
|Description||CockroachDB is a distributed database architected for modern cloud applications. It is wire compatible with PostgreSQL and backed by a Key-Value Store, which is either RocksDB or a purpose-built derivative, called Pebble.|
|Primary database model||Relational DBMS|
|Current release||19.2.6, April 2020|
|License Commercial or Open Source||Open Source Apache 2.0, commercial license available|
|Cloud-based only Only available as a cloud service||no|
|DBaaS offerings (sponsored links) Database as a Service|
Providers of DBaaS offerings, please contact us to be listed.
|CockroachCloud: Get your applications to market faster with a fully managed CockroachDB instance. Leave the daily maintenance, security, and operations of your database to us, and spend more time building apps and running your business.|
|Server operating systems||Linux|
|Data scheme||dynamic schema|
|Typing predefined data types such as float or date||yes|
|XML support Some form of processing data in XML format, e.g. support for XML data structures, and/or support for XPath, XQuery or XSLT.||no|
|SQL Support of SQL||yes, wire compatible with PostgreSQL|
|APIs and other access methods||JDBC|
|Supported programming languages||C#|
|Server-side scripts Stored procedures||no|
|Partitioning methods Methods for storing different data on different nodes||horizontal partitioning (by key range) all tables are translated to an ordered KV store and then broken down into 64MB ranges, which are then used as replicas in RAFT|
|Replication methods Methods for redundantly storing data on multiple nodes||Multi-Master replication using RAFT|
|MapReduce Offers an API for user-defined Map/Reduce methods||no|
|Consistency concepts Methods to ensure consistency in a distributed system||Immediate Consistency|
|Foreign keys Referential integrity||yes|
|Transaction concepts Support to ensure data integrity after non-atomic manipulations of data||ACID|
|Concurrency Support for concurrent manipulation of data||yes|
|Durability Support for making data persistent||yes|
|In-memory capabilities Is there an option to define some or all structures to be held in-memory only.||no|
|User concepts Access control||Role-based access control|
|More information provided by the system vendor|
CockroachDB is a DistributedSQL database architected for modern cloud applications. It implements a standard, developer-friendly SQL interface and provides linear, automated scale for your data without the labor intensive overhead of manual sharding. CockroachDB replicates data across multiple nodes so that even with the loss of a node or region, you can be sure data is always available and transactions can always be committed. It guarantees distributed, transactional consistency at local and global scale and provides the ability to tie data to a location so you can counter latency issues and comply with data privacy regulations. Cockroach Labs has three software products (CockroachDB Core, CockroachDB Enterprise, and CockroachCloud) and an educational offering (Cockroach University).
- EFFORTLESS SCALE: Scale your applications, not operational complexity. CockroachDB scales without manual operation, eliminates overhead associated with manual sharding, and balances server utilization to reduce costs.
- BULLETPROOF RESILIENCE: Ensure your apps are always on and available. CockroachDB survives system failures without interruption, reduces the need for complex and costly backup configurations, and eliminates the risk of losing data.
- ENSURED CONSISTENCY: Guarantee transactional consistency in distributed SQL. CockroachDB ensures all your data is always correct and up-to-date, guarantees serializable isolation, and applies a cost-based optimizer and query planner to distributed workloads.
- GEO-LOCALITY: Give your data a location. CockroachDB is the only database that assigns data to a location allowing you to reduce latencies, move data close to your customers, and remain globally compliant.
|Typical application scenarios|
System of record (financial ledger, inventory management, transaction record), identity access management (IAM), metadata layer, general purpose DB
Comcast, WeWork, LUSH, Bose, Kindred, Nubank, Baidu
6K+ long-running clusters
200+ CockroachDB Enterprise clusters
80+ CockroachCloud clusters
2K+ enrolled in Cockroach University
18K+ GitHub Stars
800+ members in CockroachDB Community Slack
|Licensing and pricing models|
- Apache 2.0 for core features released up to and including the 19.1 release
- Time-limited Business Source License (BSL) for core features released in and after the 19.2 release. After three years, the license converts to the standard Apache 2.0 license. The three-year restriction is applied on a rolling basis for each release.
- Cockroach Community License (CCL) for enterprise features in perpetuity
Related products and services
We invite representatives of vendors of related products to contact us for presenting information about their offerings here.
|Recent citations in the news|
Database Week: CockroachDB spring release targets developers
Cockroach Labs looks to accelerate cloud-native database
Startup Spotlight: Cockroach Labs' cloud database management | Big Data - Gigabit Magazine
news digest: CockroachDB 20.1, ActiveState early access program, and ScyllaDB 4.0 - SD Times
provided by Google News
Sr. Java Developer
Software Engineer - SecDB Architecture
Senior Database Solutions Engineer
Full stack engineer
Share this page